Friday, June 22, 2012

Kitchen: Farro, Orzo, Rice side dish

Farro Wheat, Orzo, Japonica Rice, and Garbanzo

I really like the taste and texture of farro wheat, though it can be a little bland--which makes it a perfect canvas for absorbing whatever flavors and seasoning you desire.  I couldn't decide whether I wanted rice or farro or orzo...so I opted to go for all of them!

Cooking times and amount of water or broth needed to cook each grain varied, so I did have to cook each one separately, but the pans were not hard to clean, so it wasn't a problem.  My thought was that each time I make one of the grains, I can either cook extra to freeze or just save the leftovers, so I could eliminate that step...at least for the rice and farro wheat, the orzo should be cooked at the time.

Since the rest of our meal was a little spicy, I opted this time out anyway, for very little seasoning.  I used a well seasoned chicken stock (not broth) to (separately) cook the rice and wheat according to package directions.

  • 2/3 cup cooked Farro Wheat (using chicken stock)
  • 2/3 cup cooked  Black Japonica Rice (using chicken stock)

  • 2/3 cup cooked orzo (using plain water)
  • lightly season with celery seed and onion powder (optional: if you used a good stock)
Combine the three starches, add a little more stock if it seems a little sticky.  Combine well.  Top with
  • shredded cheese (I used a 5 cheese Italian Blend cheese)
  • warmed garbanzo beans (chick peas)--or substitute your favorite bean or pea.

So, as is, a nice side, which you can see could be enhanced in many ways...begin with onions and slivered greens (kale or mustard or collard), stir in shredded carrots, use a wonderful olive (black or green)...whatever you have on hand, and whatever will complement the meal.  Mushrooms would be nice..............


No comments:

Post a Comment