Monday, September 12, 2011

Kitchen: Did We Really Enjoy Olives Before These?? (#3 in a series)

Five of these olives have only 25 calories!



I fixed salads the other night...and happened to be out of our newly discovered favorite SPROUT'S olives, so I used another nationally known brand that I still had in the pantry.  My son and I just looked at each other with looks of "ugh! this is horrible" on our faces.  My son even asked me pointedly..."Are these olives fresh?"  I told him they were, but they weren't the Sprout's olives...and I determined to return to the store and stock up on them...no salad should have that kind of injustice pressed upon it.
The reason we like these olives so well is because they have a fresher taste, and remain firm.  This brand doesn't use ferrous gluconate, so they also tend to look more olive colored than "black".   Ferrous gluconate actually turns olives black.  I like what Zingerman's has to say in their article on olives.
see:  color and curing process of olives. 

Since I don't care for salad dressing of any kind, I like the addition of olives (and avocado) to add a little "oil" to my salads.  This one wins in our house! Of course, they are great with Mexican  and Italian dishes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment