Sunday, November 13, 2011

KITCHEN: Tomato Paste in a tube...

Adding just a bit of tomato paste can really increase the flavor

The first time I saw the tomato paste in a tube I thought it was a little bit on the weird side, but having used this--well, I have changed my mind about it.  There are many times that just a bit of tomato paste added to your recipe  will be just the little bit of "something" that you never realized you were missing.  The ease of use and lack of waste put this item on my regular pantry list.  Even though the cans of tomato paste are rather small, often all one needs is a tablespoon.  All you are trying to do is intensify the flavors of what you already have, not produce an overkill of "tomato".  When using a small can, the problem came with what to do with an open partially used can.  I tried placing the unused portions in tablespoonfuls in the freezer...but then they would get lost, or be too little or too much.  I stopped using it altogether.  One day, while watching Lidia Bastianich use just a dab of tomato paste from her (toothpaste tube look-alike) I decided to give it a try.  Yes!!  I had finally found the product that would enable me to add some tomato to 
  • my afternoon pick-me-up cup of broth (low calorie)
  • meat prepared for tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, etc. without adding too much moisture
  • meatloaf--I prefer it over ketchup
  • soups and stews
  • gravies, especially beef or mushroom
  • stir fries
Whenever you need just a smidge of tomato, just a squeeze or two and there you go! Keep it in the fridge and you should be able to use it up in about a month or so.  



This brand has 70 mg salt per 2 TB serving
Napolean Tomato Paste is available at Sprouts.  On sale, they were $1.64 each--that was at 25% off.  The tube contains 3.15 oz.  It is about the right size for me.
  • According to the Napolean website, 1 TB = 1/4 cup of canned tomato sauce
  • ingredients are: tomato paste, salt, citric acid
  • 30 calories per 2 TB 
  • tomato paste has lycopene, an antioxidant
Their website touts the health virtues of tomato paste.  The problem?  There were only ten volunteers in the test, and they consumed about FIVE TB per day to achieve the benefits...that is almost a whole tube per day!  However, I am sure that using even a lesser amount will still provide some good health benefits beyond improving the flavor of our foods.
(Walmart  carries Amore Tomato Paste in the 4.5 oz tube...about $2.50.  This is a larger amount than I can use in one month's time--at least in the summer.  When it's chilly, I can use more.  This product has less salt...only 15 mg per 2 TB.  As to recommendations, I haven't actually used this product, yet. )


soothing, warm, low cal, easy: Broth and a bit of tomato paste...enjoy!
Just an "aside"--this particular mug is one of my favorites.  I found a similar mug to this (with a Celtic pattern on it) at a thrift store.  I bought that one because of the pattern, but became fond of the shape and design of the cup itself.  Whenever I am at thrift stores or yard sales, I actually look for more of this mug.  It is made in England, (or Scotland) and is made by Dunoon.  Unfortunately, I broke my Celtic pattern mug, but found this plaid to replace it.  Most likely I would never have purchased a Dunoon mug, simply because looking at it, I thought I wouldn't like the design of it.  Finding it at a Thrift Store, (probably paid 99 cents), I could try it out and see if I actually liked the feel of it. I find this design from time to time, and if I like the pattern, I add it to our collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment