Thursday, November 3, 2011

CRAFT: Recycled Copper Wire

Sentimental Recycling Project
 Quite a few years ago, my husband took a job in Alaska which separated us for about six months. 
He was working in remote areas, and phone calls were often two weeks apart.  Our son and I really missed him.


At the time, I was home schooling our son.  My husband thought it might be fun to ship some of the plant and rock materials home for our science studies.  We had plenty of fun trying to determine what all the flora and rocks he sent home were.  
Fast forward to today.  I was clearing out some boxes and stumbled across the birch bark.  I couldn't make myself throw it out...but, I didn't want to just store it in a box.  In reading through one of the magazines I picked up at the thrift store, (I almost never buy "new" magazines), I noticed a picture of a leaf that someone had punched with holes to form letters--writing a short message.  Inspiration!!  I could use the bark to make a piece of wearable art!!  A few days later I was watching a segment on TV that mentioned recycling copper wire from old electric motors.  Since my husband was already recycling that sort of thing, I asked if he had any copper wire I could use.  He set up a little anvil and a hammer for me and told me to have a go.  Thus, was born my wearable recycled birch bark and copper wire "heart". 

This cuts very easily with scissors!
 The bark was originally rolled in a "scroll".  I had to soak it overnight in water; laying it flat, with a heavy object, to dry.
The curl of wire made by twisting on a pencil to form.
I used wire cutters to cut some strands of copper wire. Two to six strands worked best. (I actually used three strands in the heart.)  Twisting the ends together to get it started, I braced the started end under the anvil and used a pair of pliers to continue to twist all the way down.  

At this point, I began pounding the twist of wire with the hammer against the anvil; and in short order, I discovered that a lovely (almost Celtic) pattern appeared.  I went too far though, and the wire became thin and brittle, breaking off bits of the pattern.  Several tries later, shaping FIRST, pounding (a lot less) later, I had a heart shape that would work.  
Kind of fun to see how the wire will appear after pounding!
I traced the metal heart onto the bark, cut it, and trimmed to size.  Then I simply used wood glue to hold it together.  This is not a totally finished piece.  I am still trying to decide whether to make the heart into a pin or a pendant...but I am saving that knot in the bark for another project...maybe a barrette for my hair...The project took very little time and cost next to nothing, but the fun I had experimenting in making it and the sentimental value I derive from it are priceless!
Thursdays are the release days for my Craft projects and ideas...check back each Thursday!!  It is my intention to use recycled items,  thrift store purchases, and "dollar store" finds as often as possible.  Green Crafting!
Sundays are the release days for Kitchen and Cooking projects, ideas, and better food choices.  Please check back on Sundays for that.
Home projects and ideas are still "in progress", but tentatively will be slated for Tuesdays or Saturdays...please "stay tuned". 

No comments:

Post a Comment