Thursday, October 27, 2011

CRAFT: Recycle Magnets!

Recycle Magnets from junk mail or your shower curtain!!
 How many of us have photos and business cards, and kids drawings, etc. on our fridges?  

In less than 5 minutes, you and your kids can craft some interesting magnets with stuff you are probably throwing away without thinking!

I use magnets from the bottom of shower curtain liners...and I have a cat who likes to shred the liner on occasion.  Instead of throwing away the magnets, I punch them out and save them for craft use.  While I already have plenty of buttons around the house, I happened across these "star" shaped buttons that I really liked at one of my oft-shopped thrift stores for only 75 cents!  

 While I did have to clip the shank off, that was easily done with a razor knife...would have been even easier with a flat clipper. (Save that for an adult...duh!)
 I used the white school glue just because it would be "kid friendly", but a glue gun or any other glue would have worked just as well.
 Left to dry...ready to go in about 5 minutes.
While you're at it...look around the house and you may find a few more sources for "free" magnets to craft with.  I pull off the flat magnets on the backs of the shopping lists, and from advertising magnets on telephone yellow pages...I pull them off and recycle the phone books.  
I keep them in my recycled craft supplies and have them to use when the mood strikes.  By the way...thrift stores are great places to look for things to stock your home craft center.   I find high quality needles (some from England) for pennies, lots of unopened needlecrafts, yarns, threads, ribbons, scissors, papers, fabrics, patterns...it's a section of the thrift store I make a habit of checking out!  If you think you might like to try a new craft...look at several thrift stores to see what's available...you may be able to try something new, for a lot less!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment