Wednesday, May 30, 2012

CRAFT: Quick Hair Bow

Less than two dollars and about 5 minutes!

I pull my hair back and secure it with a barrette.  Is it the most attractive that way?  Probably not, but I don't care for hair in my face!  I had purchased two barrettes with similar scarf knots, but the barrettes broke.  I looked everywhere to try to replace them.  Nothing to be had, and anything I could find was priced at $5.00 and up!  I actually gave up looking for replacements for a while, until I happened to come across this scarf at a thrift store for 99 cents.  I really liked it, and decided to buy it.  I tried tying it onto a ponytail, but it was so heavy that it kept pulling out.  (I have extremly fine hair.)  I ended up throwing it into a drawer for about a year.

At one of the dollar stores I found some plastic tortoise barrettes that came 3 on a card.  I decided to purchase them and see if I couldn't fashion my own scarf knot barrette.  
tie a bow, hot glue it to a barrette, DONE
  • The scarf had cost 99 cents.
  • The barrettes were 3 (on one card) for $1.00
  • A little hot glue
The most time comsuming part was trying to charge the camera so I could take pictures, and heating the glue in the glue gun!  I will admit that I tied the bow several times until I was happy with it.  

I will dress this up a little using fancy vintage buttons--using special vintage button pins--so I can easily change them.  Bits of old jewelry and perhaps a sparkly piece from a shoe decoration might dress it up.


You probably have some scarves or pieces of fabric, or something you can readily transform.  
  • You can match your clothing.  
  • Tie the scarf or fabric in any design.
  • I'm even thinking about making some with velcro so I can just switch them out or maybe use multiples on one.

from the back
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment