Sunday, January 8, 2012

Recognizing the Problem Really is the First Step!

I am not so much interested in sweeping changes and "resolutions" as I am in making things better and less time consuming.  I am looking around me and finding that I spend way too much time looking for things...so my organizational skills for "stuff" needs help.  

I remember reading in one of the Little House on the Prairie series (perhaps it was the The Long Winter) about the snow that would fall through the roof and onto their beds during the winter...and wondering WHY? they didn't seem to try to repair the roof when the weather got better.  It was almost as if this problem was something that they must live with in perpetuity!  It seems that I have glazed over many of my problem areas--they are much like McGee's closet...my kitchen and pantry areas...open a cupboard door and stuff comes spilling out all over the place!!  

It is one of my husband's pet peeves...(although he can see it in me...he is "blind" to his own, similar situations in the sheds!!)  

With limited storage areas and a propensity towards acquiring cooking and baking utensils--things I do actually use--when I can get to them or find them--it becomes increasingly difficult to make my kitchen area "tidy" and "useful".

I seem to get "used to" these situations, instead of trying to accommodate for them.  

Case in point--my husband went to the cupboard to get a plate--with limited storage area, I stacked some bowls on top of the plates--making it difficult, though not impossible, to get the plate.  He had "strong words" for me.  I had just ignored the inconvenience, while my husband thought malicious thoughts every time he had to endure opening the cupboard.

A trip to the store and I secured a simple wire rack that would make another level on the shelf...it was a very simple "fix".  Somehow, I had blinded myself to the idea that there could and should be a "fix" out there.  (My "fix" was always...someday I will have the kitchen I want and need...but someday is sooo far away.)  

Dr. Phil (and others) tout "...you can't fix what you don't acknowledge"...and so I am acknowledging that I will be able to see what the problems are and find ways to improve or solve the situation.  

"Stuff" should never have that much control over us...and one easy way to see all the faults that you are missing is to take a camera to it...still or video.  Somehow, looking at things through a camera lens can make you keenly aware of visual problems.  It doesn't take care of things like needless extra steps you take.  

A place for everything and everything in it's place...that is on my "To Do" list, but I refuse to make it a resolution, for that would probably be the kiss of death for accomplishment for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment